Everyone knows that with fall comes clogged rain gutters and downspouts. Not to mention how overwhelming clean-up is without professional help. Climbing onto the roof to remove loads of clogged leaves and gunk can be a tedious job.
To avoid gutter build-up, following a roof gutter maintenance schedule is important after gutter installations in Austin. For the best results, aim for at least twice a year – in spring and fall.
No doubt, gutters, and downspouts are one of the best drainage systems for roofs. They collect rainwater and guide away from your home. This, in turn, protects the walls, siding, and foundation of your home.
On the flip side, fall can lead to excessive build-up and clog, which can clog drainage systems. When this happens, it can also cause water damage to your roof and fascia.
If left unattended for too long, rain pouring onto the gutters can leave the foundation of your home vulnerable to damage. It may also lead to significant repairs costing you hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Luckily, the services of Austin roofing professionals make this situation is easily avoidable. Call Bluebonnet Custom Roofing today and keep your gutters and downspouts clean.
Cleaning Rain Gutters and Downspouts
“The best way to get your gutters in shape is by cleaning them regularly.”
Tools and Materials Required
For the gutter cleaning process, you need:
- Vacuum cleaner or leaf blower
- Garden hose or power washer nozzle
- Plastic spatula or brush
- Rubber gloves and full-sleeved work clothes
- Safety eyewear
- A-frame ladder or extension ladder
- Standoff stabilizers
- Plumbing snake
- Plastic bucket
- Support hangers
- Gutter covers or guards
- Flashing and sealant
Before you decide to clean the roof gutters on your own, you must first learn the proper way to do so.
To begin, make sure you are comfortable walking on your roof or have someone to watch out for you. Roof cleaning can be hazardous. For this reason, hiring a trained professional is the safest option just like gutter installations in Austin.
If you do not take the right precautions, potentially life-threatening accidents may occur.
Here are a few safety tips:
1. Wear protective goggles and shield your eyes from flying debris, insects, or gunk.
2. Use your hands to remove particles from the gutters only if you are wearing heavy work gloves.
3. Beware of cables, power lines, and tree branches that may be in your path.
4. Choose a sturdy ladder, place in on a flat surface, and make sure it is not wobbly.
5. If you use a vacuum cleaner, ensure that it can collect wet and dry waste.
It is also beneficial to hire experts in roof repair and gutter installations in Austin, TX. You can sit back and relax as they mark your chores off your checklist.
Cleaning the Gutters
Remove leaves and twigs from the roof before you start gutter cleanups. There are two ways to clean the gutters:
1. Place a ladder against the wall and use standoff stabilizers to keep the ladder in place. Standoff stabilizers also avoid excessive pressure on the gutters.
2. Remove the leaves and sediments from the gutters with your hands, a plastic scoop, or with a brush. Use the plastic bucket to collect the gunk and debris.
3. Finally, use your garden hose to flush out wet debris stuck at the bottom of the gutter. Finally, use a low-pressure nozzle to clean the exterior of the gutter.
“Do not risk getting on the roof, unless you have fall-protection gear.”
1. Use a leaf blower to scatter dirt and other dry bits away from the gutter. This may make your yard a mess, but a lawnmower does the job quick.
2. Make use of a wet/dry vacuum attachment and suck all the debris. If there is a lot of waste collected, dispose of it from the vacuum bag a couple of times.
3. Using a power washer, move the waste towards the downspouts and let it drain.
4. Use flashing to seal uncovered leaks in the roof. Add support hangers to reattach the gutters to the roof and keep them in place.
Make use of specialized cleaning products like gutter guards screens, grilles, meshes, and brushes. These reduce the chances of your gutters getting clogged in the first place.
The roofing experts at Bluebonnet want to protect the foundation of your home. For this reason, we ensure that your gutters are clean and in good condition all year round. We also offer roof maintenance, repair, and gutter installations in Austin.
Cleaning the Downspouts
Once your clogged gutters are clean, check if there are clogs inside the downspouts.
“Professional roofers follow all safety methods and ensure the perfect health of your roof.”
First: insert the hose at the bottom of the downspout and turn it on at full force. At the same time, make sure that none of the metal screws get damaged.
Second: Depending on the amount of debris, you may need to repeat step one from the top of the downspout, too.
Third: Remove the horizontal extension pipes, if any, and clean them.
Lastly, turn on the water one last time to check for roof leaks, drain flow, or obstructions.
If something is obstructing the flow, use a plumbing snake and get it cleared. Loosen the gutter support hangers to ensure proper slope and drain flow.
For Roof Maintenance, Cleanup, and Gutter Installations in Austin Contact Bluebonnet Custom Roofing Today!
No matter what your roof needs, Bluebonnet Custom Roofing is here to help. We offer Austin roofing services for both residential and commercial properties.
How to Properly Clean Roof Rain Gutters and Downspouts | Bluebonnet Roofing – Austin, TX