New roofing systems or roof replacements are some of the most costly home improvements that you can take on with the help of a roofing company Austin.
Make sure that you are objectively comparing quality versus expense when making this decision.
1. Composite Asphalt Shingles
You can see composite shingle roofing on more than 80 percent of all residential properties. They use fiberglass or organic base saturated with asphalt. Composite shingles often overlay the bottom with asphalt and infuse the exposed exterior with granules. These shingles last 15 to 40 years, and sometimes up to 50 years.
- Affordable option
- Repairs are cost-effective
- Besides standard roof sheathing, no additional support needed
- Looks great on almost any house
- Needs to be replaced more frequently than slate, metal, or tile
- Asphalt shingles cracks due to rapid temperature changes
- Not eco-friendly
- When replacing the second layer of shingles, all layers must be taken off
“Composite shingle roofing uses fiberglass or organic base saturated with asphalt for strength.”
2. Metal Roofing
Metal roofing has recently made a comeback in the Austin roofing scene. Most metal roofs are rigid sheets with vertical-seam panels and modular press-formed panels. Lightweight steel, aluminum, and zinc are the most widely used metals. The lifespan of this metal roof is 50 to 100 years, with warranties up to 20 years.
- Mimics other materials
- Controls energy costs and keep your home cool during summer
- Prevents ice dams during severe cold
- Panels are100% recyclable
- Price is higher than wood roofing and asphalt shingles. Ask your roofing company, Austin for more details
- Noisier than other materials during rainstorms. Mainly, if a layer like solid sheathing or an attic space does not exist
- In case of an emergency, it can be difficult for firefighters to administer water inside your home
3. Natural Slate Roofing
Roofs covered in slate have the stone cut from quarry-mined rock. Since slate tends to split into flat slabs, it is an excellent choice if you want to use natural stone. Among common roofing materials, it is the most pricey, but it’s also the strongest. The lifespan of this material is 100 years or more, which is excellent for roofing in Austin, TX.
- Brings a lavish
look to your home
- Increases resale
value and curb appeal
maintenance is needed
- Natural slate is incredibly dense and requires more framing support
- Chimney and roof repair is more of a hassle since slate could break if walked on
- Improper installation will cause rapid moisture issues
“Natural slate is the most pricey, but it’s also the strongest type of roofing material.”
4. Wood Shingles and Shakes
Experts make a wood shingle roof from thin, wedge-shaped, machine-cut natural wood pieces. The lifespan of a wood shingle roof is 25 to 30 years, although depending on the type of wood roof it can last 50 years. For example, wood shakes are similar to wood shingles, except they are a hand-cut, thicker material. They are better at resisting UV ray and weather damage. The lifespan of wood shake roofs is 35 to 40 years if installed by an experienced roofing company, Austin.
- Natural beauty
- Certain woods
contain oils that resist insects and moisture
- Lasts 5 to 10
years more than asphalt
- Made from salvaged
- Difficult to install
- Fire hazard in some areas
- While a sturdy material, repairs will be costly if
5. Roof Tiles
Roof tiles have been around for a long time. Today’s homes include the latest and strongest materials in Austin roofing. There are three types of roof tiles: clay, fiber cement, and concrete. All tiles have a waterproof coating. The lifespan of roof tiles is 50 years or more.
- Come in a variety
of textures, styles, and colors
- Resistant to
insects and fire
- Decrease cooling
requirements and heat penetration with light-colored tile
- Denser than many other materials, may require more framing support
- More expensive than wood, asphalt, and metal
- Chimney and roof repair is more of a hassle since tiles could break if walked on
“Roof tiles have a waterproof coating and a longer lifespan.”
These are the various types of roofing in Austin, TX that you can choose for your home. Get help from the experts to make the right selection.
Bluebonnet Roofing is the Most Trusted Roofing Company, Austin for New Roof Installation!
For the best roof repair, Austin, TX, choose our roofing company Austin experts at Bluebonnet Roofing. As a premier roofing company, we use quality-driven materials when installing your roof. From providing you with an estimate or walking you through your repair details, we’ve got you covered.
What Kind of Roofing is Best for Your House? | Bluebonnet Roofing – Austin, TX