Considering getting some work done by an Austin roofing company? You probably have some questions.
Thankfully, the experts at Bluebonnet Roofing are here to help you out. Read on below to learn our 10 most frequently asked questions about Austin roofing and their answers.
Top 10 Austin Roofing FAQs
Take a moment to learn about Austin roofing from the experts at Bluebonnet Roofing.
1 – How do I know if my roof needs to be replaced?
Take into consideration three things when deciding whether your roof needs replacement, repair, or a simple patch:
- What are the visible signs of damage? If you notice missing shingles, dark streaks, moss growth, bald spots, leaks, cracks and curls in shingles, and peeling paint, it’s time to replace your roof. The more severe the damage, the more likely you’ll need to replace your roof. If you’re still unsure, contact Bluebonnet Roofing. A licensed professional will be able to determine the best course of action for your roof.
- How old is your roof? Most roofs need to be replaced every 20 years or so; however, you may need to replace it sooner if there’s roof damage not caused by normal wear and tear. If your roof is 20 years old or older, it’s time to replace it.
- How long do you intend to stay in your home? Replacing your roof can get expensive, which is why it’s so important to take good care of your roof. If you’re not planning on staying in your current home long-term and your roof is in fairly good condition, replacing may be an unnecessary cost. In this case, it makes more sense to simply get your roof repaired. Some simple patchwork may be all you need for right now. However, if you are noticing heavy leaks, missing shingles, or other severe damage, roof replacement may be the best option for you.
2 – Do you offer warranties on your work?
Yes. At Bluebonnet Roofing, we are committed to excellence. As our customer, you deserve the best from a team of Austin roofing experts you can trust.
Our roofing warranties include:
- 2-Year Standard Warranty: The Bluebonnet Promise
- 5-Year Leak Warranty for Metal Roofs
- 10-Year Warranty on Shingles
3 – Why should I choose Bluebonnet Roofing?
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home and protects you and your family from the elements. When it’s time to repair or replace it, you shouldn’t trust just anyone to do it.
Our family-owned and operated Austin roofing company is backed by years of experience, a commitment to high-quality craftsmanship, and superior materials. With Bluebonnet, you can rest assured we will get the job done right, the first time – and on time.
We get the job done right the first time – and on time.
Bluebonnet goes above and beyond fixing your roof. Our knowledgeable experts guide you through the roofing process, educate you on your new investment and help you make the right choices for your home and your wallet.
We have extensive experience working with all major property insurers and are proud to offer our customer’s insurance support. Our 100% guarantee on quality, service, and insurance sets us a step above other Austin roofers.
In the end, Bluebonnet Roofing makes the Austin roofing experience straightforward, easy, affordable, and comfortable for you.
4 – What services do you offer?
Bluebonnet Roofing offers a variety of Austin roofing services for our customers, including:
- Residential Roofing Installation and Roof Repair
- Commercial Roofing Installation and Roof Repair
- Metal Roofing – including Standing Seam Metal Roofs
- Gutter Installation and Repair
- Emergency Leak and Hail Damage Repairs
- Roof Inspection
We offer roofing solutions for all types of Austin roofs, including metal, shingles, tile, single-ply, and more.
5 – How long does new roof installation take?
Roof installation time varies depending on your specific needs. In general, however, installing a new roof usually takes about 2-8 weeks.
A new roof is usually installed within 2-8 weeks.
6 – How much does a new roof cost?
The price of your new roof depends on several factors such as materials selected, your building or home, the location, and the time of year.
To get a better idea of what to expect, contact 3-4 local roofing companies in your area and get estimates on your roof installation.
Remember that going with the cheapest contractor is not necessarily the best choice, as you must factor in the quality of work and materials used as well.
There are tons of materials to choose from, and each has different grades, prices, styles, and shapes. Make sure you sit down and really consider all your options before making a final decision.
7 – How do I prepare my roof for a hurricane?
Hurricane season generally lasts from June through November.
Hurricanes are separated into different categories based on their strength.
- Category 1 – Wind Speeds of 74-95 MPH – Very dangerous winds will produce some damage.
- Category 2 – Wind Speeds of 96-110 MPH – Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage.
- Category 3 – Wind Speeds of 111-130 MPH – Devastating damage is likely.
- Category 4 – Wind Speeds of 131-155 MPH – Catastrophic damage is likely.
- Category 5 – Wind Speeds of over 155 MPH – Catastrophic damage will occur.
To hurricane-proof your roof, take these steps:
- Check out your shingles. Do you see any curled shingles or missing or loose roof tiles? Get these fixed ASAP.
- Check your roof edges for missing nails and correct spacing. Try to maintain a four-inch gap between them. The nails must hold the roof shingles securely, connecting the rafters and roof deck.
- Look out for protruding nails in the rafters. Besides this being a sign of improper roof installation, it can be quite dangerous.
- Check the interior of your roof. Start in your attic. If you see light shining through any gaps, your roof isn’t secure enough. These gaps will allow water and wind through, and cause further damage to your roof. Get them repaired as soon as possible.
- Use a caulking gun to apply roofing cement on roof shingle edges and construction adhesive on rafters or trusses.
- Install metal hurricane clips. These connect your roof to the walls inside your home. Without this secure connection, it can be easy for your roof to get torn apart during a hurricane. It can be challenging to install these yourself, so contact a reputable roofing contractor to make sure it’s done right.
8 – How do I fix a roof leak?
The best way to find a roof leak is to understand how water moves through your roof into your home. Then you’ll find the source of your leak.
Water typically finds its way in through broken or worn shingles, places where nails have come loose, or through poorly sealed roof flashing around skylights, vents, chimneys, and other areas.
Water passes through your roof, flowing to the sheathing and roof rafters before reaching your ceiling and dripping down into your home.
It’s best to locate a leak during the day when there is more light. Bring a flashlight with you up into your attic and find the location where the drip came from. Once you’ve located that, work your way up the roof, looking for wetness along with the framing.
If it’s dry, try to find stains, discolorations, or watermarks that might clue you in. Switch off the lights and see if there are any holes where light streams through.
If it’s still raining, place a bucket under the leak and wait to repair until after the storm passes.
9 – How do I figure out my annual roofing costs?
We use a simple formula to determine annual roofing costs.
Total Cost (Labor and Materials) ÷ Roof System Life Expectancy (Years) = Annual Roofing Cost
10 – How do I clean algae and moss from my roof?
It’s always best to let professionals take care of your roof, but in case you’re wanting to DIY, here’s how to clean your roof.
- Mix a mild solution of chlorine bleach and water or mild detergent.
- Apply this solution to your roof with a sponge or handheld sprayer.
- Rinse thoroughly.
We do not recommend using a power washer or heavy concentrations of bleach on your Austin roofing system, as it can damage your roof. Also, make sure you don’t scrub the shingles.
Get Expert Austin Roofing Installation and Repair from Bluebonnet Roofing
If you’re in the market for a new roof or are simply looking to get repairs or other roofing work done, call Bluebonnet Roofing today for an estimate. Simply press the button below to contact us online or call us at 512-580-9063.
Top 10 Austin Roofing FAQs | Bluebonnet Roofing – Austin, TX